Counsellor in Vancouver
My approach to therapy is grounded in compassion and collaboration which means that I follow your pacing in sessions, walk alongside you, trust your instincts and goals, and offer tools, thoughts, and approaches to help you on your journey. I strive to create a welcoming environment with space for you to show up just as you are in that moment.
My style is genuine, open, and non-judgemental. If you choose to work with me as a therapist, my hope is to join you as you process losses and wounds, shed pieces of your life that may no longer serve you, and embrace your power, capacity, and identity.
Counselling Services by Kate
I believe that all humans have value and the capacity to create more meaningful, healthy lives. Along with talk therapy, I utilize expressive arts, narrative, body-based and play therapy approaches because sometimes we are better able to integrate our stories when we engage with more than words. I am also trained in trauma-based therapies and approach sessions from a liberatory lens.
I welcome diverse clients regardless of their culture, gender, class, sexual orientation, ability, or other identities, and I have experience working with children (6 and up), youth, and adults. I am also trained in family therapy and couples therapy. I have specialized training to support people regarding:
- Caretaking, stress, and burnout
- Critical self talk & Perfectionism
- Grief and loss
- Life transitions (immigration, career, aging)
- Parenting & transition to parenthood
- Pregnancy, Prenatal, Postpartum
- Social and emotional regulation
- Relational conflict
- PTSD and trauma
Certificates & Training
Body Oriented Trauma Counselling Strategies
Dance and Movement Therapy
Expressive Art Therapy and Trauma
Refugees and Trauma Counselling
Trauma Focused Dialectical Behavioural Therapy (DBT)
Trauma Focused Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training
Somatic Trauma Therapy – The Strozzi Institute
Social and Family Systems Therapy
Education & Credentials
- Master of Arts in Counselling Psychology with a focus on Expressive Arts Therapy, California Institute of Integral Studies (CIIS)
- Certified Clinical Counsellor (CCC) accredited through the Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association (CCPA)
- Graduate Diploma of Art Therapy, Vancouver Art Therapy Institute (VATI)
- Professional registration with the Canadian Art Therapy Association (CATA)
- First Nations Health Authority Registered Counsellor (I am able to provide direct billing for FNHA clients)
Outside of Work
When I’m not in sessions, you can commonly find me out for a walk or bike ride either listening to a podcast or chasing after my energetic toddler. Nature fuels me and I am beyond grateful to live in Vancouver with access to both the mountains and the ocean–especially since I was born in the land-locked state of Indiana. If I’m not breathing in the fresh air, I am likely sipping a cup of coffee, attempting a new recipe, or curled up with a good book.